Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Madonna - Confessions Tour


Well... finally here's the "and more" part of "Movie Locations and More"... and yes, it is Madonna related.  
I was an on and off Madonna fan for years, but my sophomore year in college was an off-year (too much into The Smiths).   So when I was offered a free ticket and ride to the Blond Ambition Tour, I said... no thanks.   Then Truth or Dare came out and it changed everything.   I finally got what she was all about and wow, what a show.  I dreamed for years of what it must be like just to be in the same auditorium with her watching her perform.    Fast forward to 2004 and I finally made that dream come true when I first got to see her in Chicago for the Re-invention Tour, Row 13, Seat 13.

Here is me... anxiously awaiting in my seat!









 I was so in awe of seeing her so close, I immediately booked a ticket to see her in Atlanta two weeks later, Row 6!   Cameras were a big no no, so I took some crappy cell phone pics....


My Reinvention Tour Jacket....




So after that tour experience,  I vowed to see her next show at least 7 times and make two of those times front row.   Well, I more than did that and ended up doing eight shows on that tour.


First up, opening night in LA at the Forum.   After seeing her documentary, I'm Going To Tell You A Secret, I kind of had a glossy dreamy vision of what The Forum must be like.... which it was nothing like, pretty crappy place to be honest.   I didn't have the best seats, but it was the best I could get and I was just happy to be there....












Next up were two nights in Chicago.   And the second night ended up being a lifechanger for me.    I had Row 8 and I went to check out my seat as soon as I got there.   The fellow next to me, who I bought the ticket from, said I just missed her dad and stepmom going in backstage.   We anxiously awaited for them to come back out.  Moments later they emerged, and I stood up and said hello.   Behind them was her makeup artist and hair stylist.   They asked if they could take pictures of my shirt I made and was wearing and my tattoos:






I said sure, and then they were on there way.   The show begins and I get tapped on my shoulder from Andy, her hair stylist.   He says, "She saw the pictures, she wants the shirt."   I about died and was in disbelief that not only had Madonna liked my shirt I made, but she wanted it!   I made him go get me a shirt and he gave me a tour shirt in exchange.    I asked to meet her, but got a flat no, and that was that.   Still, I was flying high for hours for that experience.   Here are some pics from that show.

Before the show... last time I had this shirt before it got into M's hands!














After the show... ecstatic... with a new tour shirt!





Next up was two shows in Hartford, Connecticut.   On the first night I had third row by the center stage and the next night was front row!   I made the same shirt so I knew she would recognize me.    A buddy I bought a ticket from was going with me and we were hanging out before the show when we bumped into a few of her dancers and we took this picture:


One of them said, "Oh, you're the guy with the tattoos and shirt she has... she was talking to you during dinner the other night."   Again, I died a little inside.   Not only did she take my shirt, but she was talking about me.   So that first night, I went into the show more excited than ever.   Here are some pics....




















Before the show, the Hartford paper also took some pictures of my tattoo and put it in their paper and online edition....


Next night, me and my friend made a plan and we put together a  bunch of stuff to give the dancers... disco ball necklaces, bad poetry (so she knew what we were wearing and where we were sitting), my "Cloud lover" shirt for my favorite dancer... and her favorite candy.     Of course, we bumped into the dancers beforehand and gave them all of our stuff to pass on, including my Cloud Lover shirt...




Front row at Madonna is amazing, and when she looks right into your eyes.... well, there's nothing like it.  She definitely gave us a nod after reading our shirts and some winks and whatnot through out the show.   Here are some pics taken with a disposable camera.  (I know, I was afraid to bring in a real camera!)


































Next up was Philadelphia... and I was bringing my best friend, Timmy, as part of his birthday present.    Sure enough, we bump into some dancers before the show... and once again I wrote her some bad poetry and brought her favorite candy.   (Don't think it's coincidence that her next album was called Hard Candy, eh?)    We had Row 6 that night and again, it was amazing....

My best friend and a Guy Pride shirt I made for him....

The dancers hanging out... and sharing the gifts we brought...



















Well.. that was supposed to be it... just six shows, one shy of my goal.   Her final two shows were going to be in Miami on a Saturday and Sunday.    On that Friday, I said, f*ck it, I'm going to go to her last show and booked a ticket to fly down Saturday and see her final show on Sunday.    After canceled flights, delays, etc. I finally got into Miami and my hotel about 6:30 PM that night.   My hotel was only a couple blocks from the venue, so I thought, I'm not going to the Saturday show, but I'll just go check out the excitement.      While there, I bumped into some fellow Madonna fans and they convinced me to go ahead and buy a ticket since I was there already.   Wow, did I luck out.... right next to.... TOUCHING... the center stage.   It was an amazing experience coupled by the fact that Ricky Martin was across from me and Gloria Estefan was catty corner.    I didn't even bring in a camera, but here are some pics I took with my cell phone.





Yikes I was close!


Cloud!!!!!!!






















For giggles, it's always fun to see other peoples' pictures and spot yourself... Find Robert below!







The show ended and I thought, what a great night.   But... it was about to get better.   I took a side exit and my instinct told me to just wait around there, so I did.   I happened to notice three white vans with M1, M2 and M3 in the windshield.   I figured this was the transportation for the dancers and musicians and I was right.    I got to meet nearly every person on the show... except Cloud who took a different entrance.   Here are some pics....








So... the next day, final North American show.   A couple friends joined me and we hung out in the area.   As usual with my good luck, we bump into about ten of the dancers on their way to lunch.  I asked to join and they said sure!    (I honestly felt like I was living in Truth Or Dare world now!)


So that night, I didn't have the best seats in comparison to before, but it was a great show.









Her manager, Guy Oseary


I ran out of the show a few minutes early to watch Madonna and her caravan exit the arena....  (exciting, huh? lol)



And again, got to hang out with the dancer before they went to their party... and finally met my Cloud!








My beloved Cloud....




So yeah....how could I possibly top that tour experience?   Sticky and Sweet, coming up next!

1 comment:

  1. Can you believe you turned down blond ambition. I was so excited to see your pics from the confessions tour in LA I was on the ramp right on corner next to Rosie odonnel who was taking pics But alas the phones then I couldn't make it out. I was in same spot for sticky and found a pic finally someone 3 rows behind took. My back of head in full view!

    ReplyDelete